Rapid Capital Funding Supports the Epilepsy Foundation
Posted by JAMES PESTA
14 December, 2015
Rapid Capital Funding is proud to be a Mission Sponsor for the 2015 Summer Stroll for Epilepsy™, where we donated $5,000 to increase awareness for the Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan. In our four years participating as a Mission Sponsor, we've strived to make epilepsy education widespread in our communities and networks, especially for the one in 26 Americans who will develop the disease at some point in their lives.
Epilepsy encompasses a variety of neurological conditions characterized by recurrent, unprovoked seizures. These seizures are brief disturbances in the electrical activity of the brain that cause temporarily debilitating changes in movement, awareness, feelings, behavior or other bodily functions.
According to the Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan:
- There are roughly 20 different types of seizures.
- Doctors have found roughly 40 different types of epilepsy.
- In nearly 70 percent of the cases, there is no known cause.
- About one percent of Americans have some form of epilepsy.
- One in 26 Americans will develop epilepsy at some point in their lives.
- 30 percent of people with epilepsy can trace the cause back to a brain injury, brain tumor, poisoning and more.
- 10 percent of Americans will have at least one seizure at some point in their lifetime.
The number of Americans who have epilepsy is greater than the number who have multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and cerebral palsy combined.
To help all those who suffer with epilepsy, and their families and friends who are also affected, Rapid Capital Funding sponsored four regional events in 2015 for the Summer Stroll for Epilepsy where registrants gathered to walk for this worthy cause. To see pictures from each event, click on the city name below:
If you’re interested in making a donation, click here and follow the prompts. Or you can donate over the phone by calling (800) 377.6226, ext. 1204.